Sunday, August 23, 2009

How to Apply for College

Hello!

I hope you've all had an awesome summer, and are starting off the school year on the right foot.

A lot of you are seniors, and have called me with questions about how to get into college. I'd like to encourage you to sign up for an account with Embark.com. This Web site lets you put in your personal information, and creates a college checklist just for you. It's important that you do this now, because your applications have to be in by December, and you have only 2 more shots to take the ACT - October and January.

The site will answer a lot of your questions, but I'd like to make myself available to help you with the college applications process. I'm thinking that Fridays at 3pm at the McDonald's on Bullard might be good. I need to know, though, if any of you are actually interested. Depending on how many people are interested, I can either help you individually with whatever you need, or have a different topic to address every week.

If you're a junior, you should come, too. This whole process should actually begin at the start of your junior year.

Never hesitate to call me for help. And forward this information to any of your friends (especially Linda To!) who are interested. I love you all.

Do what you have to do so you can do what you want to do,
Ms. Jolly

P.S. Yesterday, in my slavery class, the professor had every student in the room say their name and where she was from. When a student proclaimed that he was from New Orleans, the professor asked for the name of his high school. These Tulane students from New Orleans went to De La Salle, Brother Martin, Newman, Edna Karr, and O. Perry Walker. The professor looked just as disappointed as I felt. Why? Because none of those students came from Reed, or Cohen, or Rabouin.

What does that mean? It means those students are doing something that you're not. They're applying to colleges. We have to get the ball rolling on that, because nothing in the world would make me happier than sitting next to one of you in class next year.

"Any time you see someone more successful than you, they're doing something you're not." Malcolm X

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts?